- 30.11.2012: Exercise 2 has been corrected. The message was made accidentally
with an old character map from the very beginning of FroZenLight and was
therefore hard to decode.
- 15.01.2013: Due to increased security concerns related with java software I decided to move the downloadable files (jars, screensavers) to the release server.
Every download should now redirect to the sourceforge.net mirror network.
- 06.06.2013: Added sample solution for error estimation exercise.
- 15.06.2013: Expanded the error propagation exercise. Added sample solutions for the exercises: Capacity,
Law of Reflection and Error Propagation.
- 21.08.2013: Added images and a link to a gallery.
- 04.11.2013: Added exercise "The Experiment" (nr. 4)
- 27.06.2014: Site moved to altervista due to shutdown of Berlios
- 15.07.2014: Release of version 1.2.0
- 23.07.2014: Release of version 1.2.1
- 20.09.2014: Added photos from the exhibition at ICM 2014
- 31.12.2015: Release of version 1.2.2
- 31.03.2016: Release of version 0.1.0 for Android. Tested so far on an 8 inch
Trekstor tablet (2 cores,1 GB) with Android 4.1.1 (and in the emulator of course).
- 09.04.2016: Release of version 0.1.1 for Android.
Version 0.1.0 - 0.1.1 for Android
This is a port of the museums part of the desktop programm to Android OS. The animation
now kicks in every time a pattern button is pressed. Actions started by the user
(button press, drags) can not be terminated but have to complete first before the next action
can be started (see messages at the top and the bottom of the app).
The android version uses parallel code to
- calculate the light source movement and its reflections.
- calculate the light source position and the rotation of the grid for periodic and
symbol sequence patterns (code has been taken over from desktop programm unaltered).
To indicate the strong dependency of the performance on the number of available cores
the app prints this number apart from other stuff in the header when it has to do
a computation intensive task.
The two symbol sequence patterns with path definition lengths > 1000 would require hours of
computation on mobile devices. Here the pattern data (light source position, rotation angle)
is extracted from a file (a bottom msg indicates this).
The docs page contains more information about the museum view of frozenlight.
0.1.1: Lowered memory usage, Min show time of 5 sec for patterns in the animation,
fixed loss of calc time when path def. is switched on and off, made app messages a bit nicer,
fixed wrong version number
The lower right corner button (9x9,62,pp 70%) is the largest pattern that is calculated
with the apps PatternSolver class and causes memory allocation problems in an emulator with
Android 6 and just 1 GB ram. Setting the ram to 2 GB made the rosalloc problems disappear.
Future Version 1.3
- Fixed a bug that prevented sometimes to change the grid size and
caused an hang up instead. Strangely this bug has never shown up
before but appears now quite often with the latest openjdk 1.7
- Radius button now shows the radius in the touchscreen view.
- Replaced the button to lower the radius with a path definition
button in the touchscreen view.
- Replaced Ornament 3 and Ornament 5 with Cross and Kubistic Star
Pattern in the touchscreen view.
- Parallelized the scanner and the pattern solver algorithm.
- Light characters can now be arranged in a border style.
- Improved the pattern animation with interpolation points.
- Added different light source shapes.
- Added confirm dialog for lowering precision when pattern is selected.
- Added menu entries for automatically adjusting the precision and the radius.
- Changed the patterns menu with headers for symmetric and symbol (message) patterns.
- Simplified the description of message en/decryption in the docs.
- Changed and added some flags to ease up command line invocation.
- Added ant build.xml to generate the jar.
- Added touchscreen view for museums and tablets.
- Bug Fix: Distorted circle lattice was drawn if the precision
had been changed with a rectangular shaped main window.
- Bug Fix: Screensaver now terminates if key or mouse has been
- Added -fscr flag to enable compatibility with windows
- Added launch4j configuration file to make a frozenlight.scr
screensaver for windows.
- Added new color themes.
- Added a splash screen shown on application start up
- Implemented the animation of light patterns.
- Added command line options(fullscreen,no menubar,no installation,...).
- Integrated the LightPatternJob class into the controller.
- Implemented the possibility to store/load the application state.
- Bug Fix: Part of the circles have been cut out if the radius has
been chosen to big in version 1.0.6
- Changed the FileIO class to make the application ready for java
web start and runnable jars.
- Made the application multi-user capable. A .frozenlight directory
is created in the users home directory at first start up.
- Bug-Fix: Missing calculation restart if terminated by resize action. This
sometimes caused the application to appear without an final ray at start up.
- Bug-Fix: Cursor right key increased the angle.
- Performance: Reduced the time for circle painting significantly.
-Bug-Fixes: Exceptions were thrown sometimes when the settings are changed
during an running animation.
- Added two new light text patterns
- Calculated all text patterns for standard radiuses 10%, 20%, ... 70%. The
results are stored in the config/records directory.
- Simplified the behavior of the variables window: Only those observable field
is updated on which enter is pressed.
- Bug-Fix: Discrepancies between the angle value (Variables window)
and the visible circles rotation (Main window) appearing when
the circles are rotated counterclockwise with the mouse or keyboard have been
- Bug-Fix: ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException when scanner is resized
- Bug-Fix: Missing Variables Window update if the position of the source of light
has to be changed due to a resize of the main window.
- Corrected the max. radius of the pattern Twinkling Diamond Cross to 50%
- Bug-Fixes: Multiple issues occurring when the Variables window is opened while an
animation is running.
- Disabled the possibility to alter the rotation of the circles with mouse and
keyboard while the animation is running.
- Bug-Fix: Very slow GUI response when a lot of circles are rotated in the
- Added loop counter
- Fixed LightPatternJob class and added runJob.sh
- Fixed missing truncation when light source is obfuscated
- Fixed missing calculation interruption when Char Map is
closed before all symbols are computed
- Added illustration for gradients in manager help file
- Added illustration for reflection law in main help file
- Fixed typos in help files and missing indentation
- Internal truncation of distance when the light src. is moved with the mouse.
- Removed typos in exercises.
- Renamed run and compile targets.
- Fix: Removed the effect of truncation on periodic patterns.
- Updated the help documents and added exercises.
- Changed the behaviour if the precision is changed: Old angle and radius
- Added 2 minor bug fixes for: a)Exeption if light src is out of window.
b)Anim menu remains checked if animation is stopped by other action
- Fixed a bug that sometimes prevented the variables window to be updated.
- Added code to show the selected pattern in the title of the main window.
- Did some code formating as some files looked chaotic when viewed with
Last edited: 09.04.2016